Monday, March 18, 2013

Non Tuesday Shenanigans and Other Such Stuff

It is NOT Tuesday. What is with the shenanigans? I got two kids, one whom we admittedly forgot to medicate this morning (yeah, kicking ourselves in the face as we speak), and one whom did get their medication, though you wouldn't know it. I'm not sure if the work today is going to result in proverbial teeth pulling on their part, or severe hair loss on mine.

 JJ has, on more than one occasion been tested for reading levels AND proficiency. He reads at a college level all around. So, can somebody please tell me why it has taken 6 hours to read 100 pages of a 6th grade book? Oh, wait! I have the answer. He had a gaming system that mysteriously rolled from the top of a bookshelf, in the living room,  to under his pillow. Concrete thinker that he is, somehow decided that school is between 9 and 230 every day, no matter what. HAHAHAHA! You are home schooled, dude. That means you put in your 6 hours every day. Time of day has nothing to do with it. SS, who is not medicated, has been writing five sentences for her homework, for TWO HOURS! Yeah, that's stretching the ADHD threshold just a wee bit. So, I guess school and homework will take the place of "play time" today, since they both felt they could just change their own schedules, like it is ok. I'm pretty sure they think they will just "forget" about their chores too. NOPE! If you want to set goals in this life, then I will make sure you get there. You can be angry, stomp, cry, whine, tell me all about how unfair it is, throw your pencil, tell me you "hate" me. I don't care! I LOVE you and that means, I will get you where you want to go, even if it kills me.

 At this point, I am on the verge of being REALLY "mean" and telling JJ that all that reading he is doing is literature homework (which it is) and therefore, doesn't count as his reading! I won't, but I really, really want to. One thing is for sure. If this much work puts JJ on edge that bad, he needs more. What he was given today was nothing more than reading, taking notes, and 3 paragraphs on character and plot summaries. So, tomorrow will be more of the same work, but I will be, from now on, steadily increasing his work load. I think, because the core curriculum is so easy for him, he has settled into complacency. Well, not anymore. You want the grades? Then, you work for them!

 I may not be the best mom in the world. I know I make mistakes, but I refuse to be the mom that sees my children as their disability. I know their capabilities and I will continue to push the envelope. If we don't do it, who will? They are not sheeple and I refuse to allow them to just skate by.  My children are capable of far more than society gives them credit for, and they are going to prove it. Just you watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment