Sunday, February 10, 2013

There are jobs, then there are JOBS!

So, one more day until I find myself in a new but old occupation. I am so excited, and at the same time so scared. I know the children don't react well to change. There will be consequences to this action, even if it is a good one. Plans are being made, schedules written. It will be a whole new world around here. JJ is going to finally get the full structure and scheduling he needs, if I have to drag him kicking and screaming into it. The rules around here are going to change. I can see where plenty of you have probably already got a set schedule for your children, but mine haven't had one in a long time, due to the inconsistent work schedule I have endured for years. I plan on getting JJ up EARLIER every other morning to go running with me. He has so much energy and hopefully it will mellow out his days. He will be running Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I have his school work down to hours. He has so much time to finish it, then we move on. I included breaks or snacks, lunch, and reading time. Monday through Friday he will follow the schedule set for that particular day.

Along with the school scheduling that is long overdue, both children will have their afternoons scheduled to a T as well. From homework to bedtime, they will follow strict guidelines. I am working on visuals for SS due to her short term memory issues and a checklist for ever-logical JJ. I will be adding chores, free time, clean time, and various other activities, including some sort of social time, where they can learn to be polite. I know, typically children have already learned this, but mine are too honest sometimes. I am not saying honesty is a bad thing, but there are better ways to say certain things, and they will learn to do it together.

I plan on including some audio exercises for SS. I was thinking along the lines of keeping a bass line beat during a song. If I could teach her to separate the sounds out, maybe she would have an easier time in crowds and at school. Since the children are so musically oriented, I figure this could work. We get no help from anyone, even though we were told that when she turned 8, she would get it. We have yet to see anyone standing up, and when we search, they run and hide.

There is so much more that goes into being home with two autistic kids than there ever was in my "day job." There is more potential for disaster, but also, there is a multitude of possibilities for happiness and growth. I took this "job" knowing that the one I was walking into was much harder than the one I am leaving. I hold no regrets. Reservations I have in spades, but those will fade as time passes. It is time I am the parent my children need, not the parent the world thinks I should be. I aspire to really keep up the house, and the scheduling, and the routines. Remember when I said I wanted to white picket fence? Once upon a time, I was a stay at home, clueless mom. Well, I am ready to be that again, but this time, I know what I am doing for the most part, and I know how to wing it like a champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment